Education and Children
The U.S. Department of Education has developed this page for COVID-19 information and resources for schools and school personnel.
The American Rescue Plan $125 billion for public K-12 schools, $2.6 billion of which will be coming directly to Arizona to help schools reopen safely and get students back on track.
On March 3, 2021, Governor Doug Ducey signed Executive Order 2021-04, requiring all Arizona schools to resume in-person instruction as of March 15, 2021. You can find COVID-19 Guidance and Suggestions from the Arizona Department of Education here. Masks or face coverings continue to be required in all public and charter schools, and many schools continue to offer virtual learning options. You can find your schools district’s website here.
You can read the CDC’s guidance of K-12 school and childcare operations during COVID-19 here.
Arizona is expected to receive $683 million for colleges and universities through the American Rescue Plan. You can read the CDC’s guidance for colleges, universities, and institutes of higher learning here.
Since March 20, 2020, the Department of Education has been providing the following relief for most types of federal student loans: suspension of loan payments, stopped collections on defaulted loans, and a 0% interest rate. This relief has been extended through at least September 30, 2021. You can learn more here.
The Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2021 allows some students enrolled in higher education to now participate in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). You can learn more here.
Resources for Kids and Parents
- Tips for talking to kids about the pandemic
- Birth to Five Helpline: 877-705-KIDS
- Advice on sleep, health, nutrition, safety, challenging behaviors, general development.
- Support from psychologists, counselors, nurses, disabilities specialists, and more.
- Teen Life Line: call or text 602-248-8336
- Online learning resources
- Arizona PBS At-Home Learning: Programs and classes for groups ranging from kindergarten to 12th grade
- Arizona Science Center: Virtual STEM education content
- Smithsonian: Learning labs, images, podcasts, and more organized by the Smithsonian Institution.
- Library of Congress: Exhibitions, digital collections, videos, books, and more from the Library of Congress.
- Scholastic Learn at Home: Reading resources for groups ranging from kindergarten to 9th grade